Summer is hard, guys. I don’t read as much as I think I will and a lot of my movie-watching ends up being half-hardheartedly watching TV while doing other activities.
Best Book of the Month: Rad American Women A-Z by Kate Schatz
Books Read: 12
Graphic Novel: 0
# of Pages Read: 3544
Thoughts on July’s Reading:
- A bizarrely large amount of non-fiction this month, due in part to the fact that I’ve been reading a lot about weight-lifting. We all need hobbies, guys.
- Much of the non-fiction I read was great, and some was just sort of forgettable. But I’m glad to be branching out.
- I’ve been watching Everwood from start to finish, which has been interesting. It’s not a show that has aged well, and it’s also not as compelling as it thinks it is. It lacks many of the things that a show that relies on a slow-burn needs to be really compelling: strong writing, actor chemistry, etc. But I keep watching.
- Still chugging away at Beverly Hills, currently enmeshed in the 6th season. It’s just all so ridiculous. I love it.
- Every once in a while, I dip into an episode of Pretty Little Liars, but the show seems to be giving viewers the exact same story every week. It’s a mystery that people keep tuning in (this applies to me, too).
- Definitely ready for fall TV.
Thoughts on Movies:
- Three theater trips in July, and all three were solid choices.
- I rewatched Beyond the Lights (it’s on Netflix and you should go watch it) and still love it. I watched a couple documentaries near the start of the month, including Blackfish and Hot Girls Wanted.
Goals for August:
- Watch 5-10 movies. Seriously.
- Read at least 10 books.
- Keep up with keeping track.