Continuing where I left off earlier this week, here’s my quick takes about the network upfronts for CBS and ABC.
- As far as cancellations go, I’m sad to see Trophy Wife get the ax. That was a pretty cute, if totally innocuous, show.
- New show Galavant sounds like a hot mess, being described as “literally Spamalot meets The Princess Bride.” Um, okay?
- A fairly diverse crop of new shows are on the roster, including the legal drama Cristela and John Cho comedy (?) Selfie. I’ll check both these out, probably.
- Shonda Rhimes has another show on the roster, called How to Get Away with Murder. I hope it’s as ridiculous as Scandal, with less annoying side characters.
I’ll have more thoughts on these shows and the ones I didn’t mention once I can watch the teasers for them. In the meantime, let’s check out what CBS has to offer me (spoiler: not a lot).
- I’ll stick with The Good Wife until it dies. Forever.
- Actually, I think that’s it for CBS. What a snoozefest! I thought about tuning into the How I Met Your Mother spin-off, but it wasn’t picked up.
- I decided to include TNT just because. I’m not really sure why, but CBS was pretty boring, so why not?
- The network is launching a brand refresh, trying desperately to attract younger viewers. The new tagline? “TNT Drama. Boom.” NOW THAT’S A BILLION-DOLLAR TAGLINE!!!!
- Of note: an adaptation of its movie The Librarian, called The Librarians, starring Noah Wylie. I will watch.