Hey, y’all. The Academy Awards are upon us, and it’s time for me to talk a little bit about the awards show and what it means to me. ARE YOU READY?
I grew up watching the Academy Awards. My memories of watching the Oscars go back to when I was very very little. For as long as I can remember, we have either attended or hosted parties to watch the awards show. I didn’t always make it through the telecast (there was one particularly memorable year where my friend and I cheated my younger sister out of all of her best POGs–but I’m dating myself), but I’ve always tuned in. As I’ve gotten older, the show has become something like my own personal Superbowl. And it’s not just because I’m really good at predicting the winners (I am, though).
Each year, we host a party and have guests fill out ballots prior to the start of the show. We track the wins as the night progresses, and the person with the most correct guesses wins the pot of money at the end. Depending on the number of guests, this pot of money can be quite significant (I won something like 60 bucks last year, and it was especially significant because I beat The Kid, who had talked an enormous amount of shit about how he was going to win). It’s a night filled with a great deal of food, a great deal of booze, and a lot of laughs.
I’m not going to list all my predictions for who will win tomorrow night (it’s a competition, after all), but I will give you these little tidbits:
- The Artist is going to have a good night
- Octavia Spencer will win for Best Supporting Actress
- I will hate almost all of the dresses on the red carpet (the picture on the left is Mila Kunis from last year, whose dress I LOVED)
- Giuliana Rancic (nee DePandi) will be super awkward with every celebrity she “interviews” (a generous term)
- Kelly Osborne’s hair will still be a ridiculously weird color
- I will talk through most of the acceptance speeches, especially if the person is a) old; b) male; or c) balding (not mutually exclusive, incidentally).
Will you be watching the awards? Who do you think will win?